Sunday, May 4, 2014

Ultimate contentment

Could some of the sample statements below relate to issues that apply to you in some way?

I am too short
I cannot talk properly
I am not good looking
I have a terrible background
I knew I could not do it after all
What could ever come out of me
I am stupid and cannot do anything
I can never manage to get anything right
Everything is not working, life sucks
Everyone does not like me, I'd rather be dead

People generally avoid surrounding themselves with those who complain, because it is draining to listen to, especially if someone complains and does nothing about the problem, or it is something they cannot do anything about. I made a decision long back that I will be guided by the Serenity Prayer, accept what I cannot change, change what I can, and know the difference but try and not complain (this is work in progress and on-going). Life is better when you do not complain, but rather embrace who you are and what you can do and leverage on that to cover more ground than seems possible. You have probably seen the clip I want to show you, but before you watch this clip, I want to ask you what kind of complaints you have had about your being. The perennial recurring kind, where you label yourself a certain way and everyone knows you hate that one thing or more about you. I want to inspire you with the story of Nick Vujicic who was born with Tetra-amelia syndrome, a condition where one is born without all four limbs. Nick struggled with this condition as a young man and even attempted suicide at some point, before finally embracing his condition and embarking on a journey to make the best out of his life. Nick's story, for me is probably the greatest story of inspiration of the recent times, and what stands out more is that Nick does not blame but gives Glory to God, in spite of his condition. He does not blame anyone but makes the most of his life and moves forward. Nick has conquered areas where able bodied people may not even dare in their lifetime and this against all odds. He has a contagious smile on his face and encourages people, who should rather be encouraging him. He has turned the tables of a given life to an admired, joyous and fulfilled life in an amazing way.

On one of her shows, Oprah Winfrey told the audience to "shut your mouth" if anyone had a complaint about to be said about life on social media platforms, before showing them a clip of the story of Nick. Surely after this story, one feels a sense of selfishness to still feel incapable or constrained as a result of self pity and low self esteem, which could be justified, but not as bad as portrayed sometimes. Just as Nick did, one learns to be content with who they are, and contentment is the ultimate form of happiness, as it is internal and not reliant on what happens in one's environment. No one can take contentment away in the way happiness generally comes and goes depending on situations and occurrences. I hope you are inspired to be content and accept who you are and what you can do today and will go out there and make it happen in the same way Nick did, without seeking excuses.

23 comments:

  1. I saw that who on Oprah and have seen Nick speak. He is amazing and an inspiration. And, I am happy to say, none of the comments at the beginning of your blog apply to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welli, I feel fortunate to change the things I can and accept the ones I cannot. Nick's story reminds me of the line "I cried because I had no shoes, and then I met a man with no feet" It really is true that the more we are grateful the more we have to be grateful for. Positive affirmations are a lot more useful than negative ones. As always, well said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Paul

      Many time we hear that line in our lives and we are also taught that if we have any problem or shortage then we must see towards those who are circled with more problems not to those who do not have any.
      It will help us to be grateful.

      Delete
    2. Very relevant line there Paul. Indeed you only cry when you are in your own little corner. When you share and see what others face, you realise how blessed you are.

      Delete
  3. Hello Welli

    I have seen above video of Nick before many times on Facebook , but still I have seen it again as he is really a courageous and inspirational person . But when ever I watch this video I think about the fact , how he can swim??
    Oprah Winfrey was right to say so , as when we have examples like Nick in front of us then why can not we change our life with hard work and courage.

    You are right in saying that we try to run from those who are continuously complaining.
    I always do so and all who are tired of long working hours and complain about it , I normally say to them if they have so much problem then why do not they leave and for what they are getting payment when we have written or signed contract we must have thought at that moment.
    This is only way they keep quite for sometime.
    According to my belief , we are taught to thank God the Creator in every situation , good or bad as He is the one who put us in tests just to check and ultimately reward u.
    I am thankful to God about everything and contented with what I have and try to get help from my strengths with which I am blessed from my Creator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also wondered about the swiming Anna, but I guess its true, where there is a will there is a way. We have many examples to make us better people. As we get more exposed to them, we get more inspired to also be better people.

      Delete
  4. I cannot say that I relate to any of the statements at the start of your post. I know I have been fortunate in life and I also think that seeing the world as much as I have makes me realize just how fortunate I am. I am with you Welli; complaining for the sake of complaining does no-one any good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen Nick too! Truly and inspiration. Please to say none of those comments fit me at all :) Great reminder Welli!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Welli
    The Serenity Prayer has also been a favourite companion of mine for may years. I don't watch much TV so have never seen Nick but what an example to all of us.
    Lenie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you on the Serenity Prayer, it just brings perspective on things.

      Delete
  7. A very inspirational speaker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welli you were right. Thank you for giving me such an inspiring story and thought. I hope to not dwell on negative thoughts. Nick's story is fantastic and truly exemplary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so love this story. I have seen it before. What I love about it is, it demonstrates that anything is possible it you had the right attitude and approach. Being thankful is certainly a great place to start. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Welli,

    You may recall a while back I wrote about Helen Keller, who refused to allow her blindness impede her life in any way. Her legacy still lives because she did much more than most able-bodied people.

    I saw Nick in person in Toronto a number of years ago. What struck me foremost about him is his humility. One might think that someone with such a condition as his, that he has every right to complain, to call it quits. But Nick has, and wants everyone else to have that inner fire that whispers NEVER QUIT!

    I immediately recognized then, and still do, how grateful I am to be healthy.

    Kind Regards,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Bill, I remember your Helen Keller post. If those with the deserved right to complain do not, how come those without right do make noises? What a wonder.

      Delete
  11. Wow, that really puts things in perspective. I admit I've been guilty of thinking some of those things on your list (starting with #1) but I have no excuses. I'm counting my blessings, and thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like you I choose not to complain about the things that I can not change. I started this years ago and have been moving forward past all obsticles that I could not change. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mother, who had a difficult, impoverished childhood led by example. Her mantra is that any day you can walk out your front door is a good day. That's certainly a good starting point and Nick's life illustrates that we can appreciate life, even when we can't walk out the front door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good approach, the walk out the door one. I will remember that.

      Delete
  14. Thanks for sharing Nick's story. I had not seen or heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have seen Nick's story before and he is so inspiring. I knew a gal in college with a similar condition and she too is an inspirational speaker reminding people of their personal worth.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I started to read the comments at the beginning of the post and had to skip over them, waaaay too negative. I think even putting negative thoughts out into the universe is sure way to find yourself dealing with those very same bad things. Given the uplifting nature of your blog, I bet you, like Nick, have some terrific karma around you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have seen that video many times. It's essential in life to appreciate all the positive aspects and not focus just on your shortcomings. Always being discontent because someone else has more or is better at something is a sure recipe for ruining your life.

    ReplyDelete