Monday, May 12, 2014

Face the storm and ride it out

Sometimes life is like setting out to sea in a boat. Sizes of boats differ literally as well as figuratively. Some have massive yachts and cruise ships that can withstand storms better than others, who have smaller rafts, rowboats and dinghies which are unstable and can capsize at the slightest of storms, winds and rough seas. The size of a boat never stops sailors from sailing, but they do take note of their limitations and sail according to their resources and capabilities avoiding known hazards. Unlike sailors, who can choose the day and weather they can sail in, life has to be sailed out daily no matter how the "weather" looks like. One has to daily brave the storms and manoeuvre that boat without running it aground as it were, literally even.

There are days when you leave the house and plunge straight into the storm, but you know you have to face it, ride it out and return home with a sane mind. Knowledge of where you are going, how to get there and how to get to safety or be safe, is key, while always referring to a map and compass for guidance when lost. An assurance and symbol of course maintenance that brings relief and calm in life, so that when that storm comes and tries to wreck havoc, you are not as affected as someone without it. Heavy cargo adds to sinking during a storm and sailors know that to salvage a ship they jettison waste while riding a storm, so remember to take advantage of storms to jettison those things that do not add value to your life. Enjoy the post below and I hope you can relate to it in one way or another.

Lighthouse in the storm


The clouds were dark, thick and swirling,
Daytime was past and nightfall had come
A storm was rising all round and in the distance
I was lost out at sea tired in an old beat down boat
There was no-one by my side to provide courage to row
The storm rose and beat upon my little boat with no mercy
The waves came crashing on the boat tossing it to and fro

I tried to row this way and that way but went nowhere
I did not know where I was or where I was going
Then a small flicker of a light caught my weary eyes
It shone bright and disappeared before I could blink
I waited patiently looking for that shining glimmer
Once again it shone brightly across the ocean storm,
It was the steadfast lighthouse showing me the way

I regained depleted strength and might and started rowing.
I rowed as strong and fast as my exhausted arms could allow
As I got closer to the light, I realised it was the lighthouse
Incessantly, the lighthouse continued to bring me in to dock
Revealing dangerous coastlines and hazardous shoals till was safe
I have this similar steadfast lighthouse in the storm of my life today
The Lord is my light and salvation, my Redeemer, Savior and friend

14 comments:

  1. Hi Welli. A boat in a storm is a great analogy of life. I particularly liked the caution against carrying excess baggage and the need to have a plan and a guiding light, no matter what those might be

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Welli
    Isn't is true that in the darkest of times, that spark of life can give us the energy to keep going. I know that during times of crisis in my own life, the song "I believe" by Frankie Laine, kept me going.
    Lenie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful analogy with the boats! Life is very much like that..extra baggage and all. We are all wise to lose that load, right? But there is nothing like a squall to make us appreciate the calm :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As usual a great analogy Welli. I do have to say though that having the tools to deal with life's storms should not prevent someone from diving into a situation where they know not the route or the destination. Risk is part of life also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true about us all being equipped with different boats, some get to sail with privilege and money, others not so much. But also, people born into a dinghy can learn skills to build themselves a better boat, and those with luxury yachts can crash them. The utility of this metaphor never ends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post. We do all have different equipment. Most of us should lighten our loads. Wonderful to look up and see a light house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to agree with the crowd here. I love the analogy. It's more difficult for some than others to lighten the load, but in the end, so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once again another great analogy... life is definitely line the sea. At times is calm and then before you know it your in the eye of the hurricane wondering how you will make it through. I look for the bright side in any situation which is like spring the light house in the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful poem and great metaphor. Keep your eyes on the lighthouse, not the storm...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked your analogy boats and life. I have always felt that it I left things up to chance then it was like being in a row boat without a paddle and floating around without direction.
    I have told my employees that in business you can no longer wait for the fish to jump in the boat, you need to go fishing. I also enjoyed your poem. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed this post. Great comparison of being at sea to life. Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great metaphor Welli! It's up to us trying to build a stronger boat :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This reminds me of the scene in the movie Good Will Hunting when Matt Damon's character starts to pick apart the stormy boat painting Robin Williams' psychiatrist had made. We all have different storms to weather, but we don't have to face them alone.

    ReplyDelete