Sunday, May 18, 2014

Trait wish list

Life is a daily battle of trying to be better in habit and in execution of duty and actions. We are constantly fighting internal battles of reflection and questioning on whether we handled certain situations well, responded appropriately or gave it our best shot. How could I have done it better or what would that person I look up to have done in similar circumstances? A trait is a distinguishing feature of a person's character. In 1726 at the age of 20, Benjamin Franklin listed 13 character traits which he felt were desirable, but which he lacked. He thought that nurturing these in his life would bring positive change. He then worked on these desired virtues over four thirteen week cycles, fostering and indoctrinating himself with each trait daily. There are some character traits we aspire to but definitely know that we do not possess. I realise I am not very diplomatic at times in communicating and need to be more empathetic in relating with people around me. I also have been learning the trait of silence from Benjamin Franklin. Knowing when to be quiet and when to speak and listening more. If traits could be on a shopping list, which traits would you shop for? What is already in your checkout basket and how are you planning to work on making that trait a part of your life going forward? Below are the traits that Benjamin Franklin worked on. Do you identify with any, or you have your own long list?

Temperance: "Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation."

Order: "Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time."

Resolution: "Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve."

Frugality: "Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing."

Moderation: "Avoid extremes; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve."

Industry: "Lose no time; be always employed in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions."

Cleanliness: "Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, clothes, or habitation."

Tranquility: "Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable."

Silence: "Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation."

Sincerity: "Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and, if you speak, speak accordingly."

Justice: "Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty."

Chastity: "Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation."

Humility: "Imitate Jesus and Socrates."

Have a great week as you shape your person both internally and externally.

30 comments:

  1. Accept One another for who they are do not change them into what you think they should be. Have commitment, show a desire for justice, expound on loyalty and above won the truth. I already have purchased is loyalty and the truth and persistence, I guess justice is still in my shopping cart. Interesting post, it made you think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wonder wht it cost you to get those three Arleen

      Delete
  2. Hi Welli, I like Franklins list and would say my major shortcomings are in frugality and humility though many of the others have taken a lifetimes work and are still far from being perfected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the reality for many Paul. It is a lifetime of work with perfection being near impossible. People change all the time and this dynamism makes it more difficult.

      Delete
  3. I like these Welli with my favorite being Industry: "Lose no time; be always employed in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions." I try to abide to this even though sometimes, like today, a good movie and a couch trumped all else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You cannot be industrious all the time Tim. You do need the reboot also.

      Delete
  4. Welli, I really do appreciate all of these but have a particular affinity for Justice...we don't see enough of it, as far as I'm concerned, and let too many injustcies slide by in a wave of apathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not surprised at all. That is your forte Jacqui and you do it well. Can't wait to see you bring the hammer down on the next injustice.

      Delete
  5. I'm strong in resolution, frugality and moderation, but do poorly in tranquility and silence. Better work on those. Thanks for the list.
    Lenie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Lenie I know you are good frinds with frugality. Keep at it.

      Delete
  6. As always I enjoyed your post Welli. I think Tranquility resonated most with me. Important not to sweat the small stuff. That one alone goes a long way for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Welli,

    I love this list of Benjamin Franklin. He is one of those leaders I highly respect and this is such an incredible list of traits to measure ourselves against. Thank you for sharing.

    Regards,
    Kumar

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea, to make a list of traits you'd like to have, and then seek to cultivate them. I like sincerity, as something to aspire to this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the best as you pursue that very noble trait Meredith

      Delete
  9. You really picked a solid role model. I have used different people over time to follow and can't really cite one specific person as the gold standard. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to work on tranquility. I wonder what Benjamin Franklin's thoughts were when he looked back at this list and his improvement efforts in later years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an interesting thought Donna. Reflection has to be part of this process otherwise it may just be a futile exercise.

      Delete
  11. Franklin's autobiography is fascinating and a great model of how to become a self-disciplined person. Sincerity is probably tops on my list as I always strive to be a sincere person and seek the same in others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call it a genne interest in others. Not just keeping up appearances. Yes very noble trait that one Jeri.

      Delete
  12. Great traits! Silence is one I think we can all cultivate. As a parent it is so important to be still and listen... we learn and teach more when we are able to do that. Being transparent is essential in our personal and professional life. All in all these are wonderful traits to aspire to acquire personally and pass on to our children

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you on silence Valerie. Sometimes we speak so much and never hear what others have to say and thereby learn from it

      Delete
  13. Sincerity, silence and order, according to me are 3 of the best traits one can have. i think I should try to cultivate Tranquility and order in the months to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sincerity seems as the favourite trait and rightfully so Tuhin. Blessed are the silent for they shall learn much more.

      Delete
  14. I could stand to work on most of the things in his list. I really like the idea of working on a particular character traits for a couple of weeks at a time. I've seen a lot of people do this trying to become better physically, but I have not seen anyone try this to improve their character, I think I may make a list and try this myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes indeed Zennish, people do make lists for everything except their character. It is left to sort itself out, but an active process of change could help.

      Delete
  15. I would add Patience, Acceptance, and Humor to Ben Franklin's list of the best traits one should have.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Humor is something good to aspire to in this ever gloomy world of negative media Laurie.

    ReplyDelete