Friday, March 7, 2014

Determination doesn't care

Determination is not giving up, not letting go and not giving in. No matter how hard or painful things may get, or how badly you want to give up, you just keep going. The Sochi Paralympic games of March 2014 are not all glitz and glamour for every participant. Paralympians compete for the honours at this prestigious event and Samsung recognised them with an inspiring advert titled "What's your problem, sport doesn't care" which quickened me to write this piece. As I watched this ad for the first time, I could almost feel the anguish a paralympian goes through in his/her quest to succeed but also the determination dominating the anguish. I imagined my own excuses of why I have failed in certain areas, which they echoed, I am too tall, I am not a mornings person, I hate the rain or I just cannot do it. They also face the same issues I face, and more as they miss some organs which I take for granted. I realised that they have made decisions of not allowing anything to stand in the way of their dreams. Putting in double, if not triple the effort that I may put in doing anything, they have gone against the odds. On top of overcoming the normal fears I face and maybe succumb, they face additional fears which I do not even think about on a day to day basis. So in echoing the question asked, I ask you, what is your problem today? What dreams have you buried in the sand because you thought it was not possible? Is it really a problem or a figment of your imagination which you can overcome? Maybe you have lowered your aspirations and desires to succeed and it has become easy to succumb to failure. It is my challenge today to you to re look at those things you have not done because you thought you cannot do them. Someone once said we humans are much more tougher than we can ever imagine and you can only underestimate yourself at your own peril.

15 comments:

  1. Sometimes I feel it is important to step outside of your comfort zone and do something different. I have had breast cancer and my little dachshund has helped me get over a big hurdle and that is pain I have from reconstruction. I decided to do agility with her. Now mind you a dachshund is not your typical agility dog, it is a Border Collie. I thought at my age which is 67, I couldn't run and have fun. Well I can and I do. Of course there are those at ring side that say why don't you get an agility dog. I just smile...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Arleen. You are already living it up and giving your determination space to work. Well done and thanks for your personalised comment.

      Delete
  2. When there's a will there's a way - Nothing's impossible, the impossible only takes longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the spirit of these folks...the determination and strength of will it takes to compete. What an inspiring example for all of us

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are a terrific inspiration to all of us. Their athleticism aside, they put into sharp perspective the importance of having faith in yourself despite what anyone may think or expect of you. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you think about what it takes for each of these para-athlete to accomplish what they do, our own problems seem rather insignificant in comparison. They are heroes beyond measure in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read that whenever you lose some part of yourself, another part strengthens to compensate. I think it really referred to the senses, but it seems the heart and soul are strengthened immeasurably in these inspirational human beings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Determination really doesn't care. I have nothing but admiration for Paralympic athletes and feel that in some ways this event retains more of the original essence than does the regular Olympics

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hard to try things when you think you might fail. So I have every respect for people who with all odds against them partake in the Paralympics. Thanks for your words of encouragement tp try not to underestimate myself. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Welli,
    When you see the grit and determination of disabled people who quit at nothing to succeed, you can't help but wonder about able-bodied people who are lazy and don't even bother to try. One such person who is inspirational to me is Nick Vujicic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Welli,

    What an excellent post! Short, to the point and concise!

    "Situatios or reasons" you can use your situations as an excuse or use them as reasons to fuel to your determination the way paralympians do it.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Regards,
    Kumar

    ReplyDelete
  11. The determination,dedication and spirit of Paralympic athletes is amazing. Should be an inspiration for all of us to keep working on our dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like Christine says there, losing a part you take for granted makes the remaining parts receive greater appreciation albeit more work to make up for the loss.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Determination counts for so much in any aspect of life. If I didn't have determination, I would have kept teaching and never gave myself over to writing ufll time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the words of encouragement! Determination is indeed the key to success both in business and in our personal lives. Not for the strength to put that determination into action...

    ReplyDelete