Sunday, July 6, 2014

Kaizen your life

The Japanese are well known for their persistent focus on refining and improving processes and systems to ensure optimal function. They have therefore over the years coined several terms which are used in business and in the personal lives of people in Japan as well as across the world. Some of the words the Japanese have coined include Kaizen,(continuous improvement), muda (wastefulness), Anzen (safety), Nemawashi (ensuring buy-in), Kodawari (continuous pursuit of excellence) and Genchi Genbutsu (go and see for yourself). Most of these Japanese business terms are key principles used within the Toyota Production System where they are applied religiously to ensure consistency in all areas of operations. Below is each term in brief detail to get more insight.

Muda - waste, uselessness, idleness or wastefulness and is used to identify ways of dealing with waste. Muda is identified within the business and is reduced or eliminated if possible. Variations of muda include Mura (inconsistency) and Muri (unreasonable request).

Anzen - safety within every area of operation to reduce injury or fatality in business. It is a conscious effort and awareness as well as the responsibility of everyone within a business to ensure that hazards and unsafe practices are eliminated, while unsafe areas and materials are handled and managed correctly.

Kodawari - the uncompromising and relentless pursuit of perfection. If something works and is efficient, it is continuously repeated to ensure consistency as well as customer satisfaction.

Genchi Genbutsu - personally going to see an activity before one makes a decision going forward. The belief is that you can never fully understand something until you have gone to the place where it is happening and seen for yourself how it is done on the ground. That is when you can gain a full understanding in order to contribute to improvement.

Nemawashi - Nemawashi literally means going around the roots and is the concept of laying the ground work for change. It is a consultative process of creating alignment with stakeholder interests during change to ensure that decision makers are kept advised of the route a proposed change is taking, such that when it is finalized and formalized, they will easily support the change.

Kaizen - developed after the World War 2 in the process of rebuilding Japan, Kaizen recognizes that change does not always happen overnight in big drastic actions, but can occur through small continuous improvements over time until a process is perfected to its optimal level. It refers to multiple continuous changes towards excellence.

It is unavoidable to see that all the above terms apply to normal personal life as much as they do to business. We live our daily lives managing waste and loss, be it time, financial or any other resource we own (muda). In whatever we do we ensure our safety and that of others around us (anzen), and we try to gain an understanding of things we have an interest in, sometimes through trips to places like museums, cultural heritage sites and other places of interest (genchi genbutsu). Most people are relentlessly pursuing perfection in their areas of work and passion (kodawari) and others are trying to improve in general by making continuous changes sometimes in form of annual new year resolutions (kaizen) or dietary changes. I struggle to choose a favourite among these terms as they are all pervasive in what I do, but Kaizen seems to appeal the most to me because it cuts across all the other terms as well. The whole point of this post is to Kaizen your life through continuous improvements, as it is said one can never stop learning. Which one is your favorite Japanese term or most pursued and how have you pursued it in your own life?

19 comments:

  1. Next time I get my car serviced, I'm going to use the word, Kodawari. Truly the situation there.

    And I love this word, Nemawashi. It is true as an individual. When we set out to change something in our life, there is a ripple effect which we do not often think about. Keeping those stakeholders in mind would like minimize any possible negativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please call me so I can be there to listen to the Kodawari pronunciation Pat.

      Delete
  2. Hi Welli, I tend to agree that Kaizen automatically leads to recognition of the other principles, though in many areas Anzen receives insufficient attention

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Paul. Anzen is taken for granted until its late and then in retrospect there is regret.

      Delete
  3. I had to laugh at Patricia's comment about her car and thought that I night add the same, Kodawari, so computers and the software designed to run them! But Kaizen seems a magical word to me. A process of personal engagement that would benefit all. Really interesting post...I truly enjoyed it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqui. Just make sure you can pronounce the word. Kaizen means magic then?

      Delete
  4. I too appreciate Kaizen and try to avoid Mura. I have visited Japan twice and also had a few Japanese students in my flight school. One I trained to become a flight instructor and learned a lot in the process of discussing psychological factors in learning with him. When he flew in with a student one day, I saw that he had dropped some of the standard best practices taught in American flight schools. Having to do with how to treat the student - rote learning, instructor role (absolute authority to be humbly obeyed).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not surprised that you as the trainer also learnt a lot in the process. Isn't that the beauty of human interaction? Always learning from each other even from those we teach.

      Delete
  5. Hi Welli - Since I am always safety focused, anzen was naturally a word I picked up on, but I really like kaizen = change good to better. Wouldn't it be something if we all tried to do that?
    Lenie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anzen first, Kaizen later for you Lenie. I think the world kind-of follows Kaizen naturally, especially service related businesses, because if you do not improve, your customers go to the person who is improving for the better.

      Delete
  6. Hi; Kaizen was also the one I most identified with.I believe that the most effective way to achieve lasting change is through small improvements on a daily basis. before having gastric surgery we were encouraged to make many small changes in our diet that would make living post surgery easier. It has been very successful for me. They advised keeping a change for a month before adding another one. wonder what the japonese think about how often you can add more to your kaizen regiment. thanks for sharing and take care, max

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good example there Max, small dietary changes that can make a difference towards your intended goal. The important thing with Kaizen is implementation and then moving on to another Kaizen. Some Kaizens are continuous so once you implement you stick to it and look for other areas to change.

      Delete
  7. Hi Welli,
    I have known about kaizen for a long time and am pleased to learn of these other terms, which, comprehensively, give an overall picture of the various perspectives they take in considering optimal productivity.
    Take care,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill you are a highly experienced mentor and I am not surprised you know about Kaizen. The key word in your comment is optimal productivity in everything one does.

      Delete
  8. I think Kodawari describes me the most as I strive for perfection. In my business I feel that service, service and more service is what I try to instill in my employees and follow it as well. Customer satisfaction is very important to me

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not surprised that these are the key principles used within the Toyota Production System. I have always been impressed with Japan, Japanese people and the products made in Japan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Mina. They are a unique people with a unique way of doing things and it works.

      Delete
  10. I definitely connect most with Kaizen - personally and with my blog. In a constant persuit of trying to become more healthy and shed a few pounds, consistency is key. Developing an approach that relies on small improvements over time, I am more likely to create healthy habits that will be easier to stick to rather than drastic, short-term diets that never work. Same thing goes with my blog. I haven't been consistent with posting and therefore I don't have many followers. Just recently I have re-committed myself to what I began only a year ago. It too will develop as I actively make those small improvements over time. I liked learning the other Japanese words as well - great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad you mention "habits that will be easier to stick", because Kaizen does not work if what you want to change cannot stick. Making the small changes does not alter much one's lifestyle and so its easier to stick. Thanks Pam

    ReplyDelete