Sunday, September 28, 2014

Unblinker your view

In an experiment initiated by a Washington Post columnist, Joshua Bell donned a baseball cap and jeans during the morning rush hour of 27th January 2007 and played as an incognito busker at a Metro subway station in Washington, D.C. Now this is a rather old story which you may have come across already, but I want to share some thoughts I picked up. While he played, 1 097 people walked past, but only 7 people stopped to listen to him for a minute or more, while only 1 person recognized him. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written and this with a violin worth more than $3 million. His almost 45-minute performance raised $32.17 from 27 passersby (excluding $20 from the passerby who recognized him). Three days before this, he had earned incomparably more playing the same repertoire at a sold out concert in Boston with an average cost per seat of $100.  Joshua Bell is one of the most acclaimed classical musicians of today. He is an American Grammy Award -winning violinist and conductor and was named an Indiana Living Legend receiving the Indiana Governor's Arts Award. He also received the Avery Fisher Prize, given once every few years to classical instrumentalists for outstanding achievement.

Blinkered society?
In a previous post entitled Hidden treasures walking past, I spoke about how every day we walk past hidden treasures or value that we seldom recognize because we do not make small effort to find it. The experiment above begs many questions among which are; What matters more, experience or the value inherent in the experience? Are we a heavily contextual society that only defines excellence, beauty and value by the environment and atmosphere in which we find it? Oh, but of course, it was the wrong setting, wrong audience, timing and performance outfit. It would seem to me that we have blinkers on, which make us perceive, view, see, and place value selectively. I do appreciate that people are more willing to pay for an experience, and Joshua himself alludes to the fact that performing in a noisy subway proved more difficult, as he would perform optimally when there is pin drop silence. Does excellence, perfection and beauty lose value because of context? The point was made, we do not perceive beauty or excellence for what it is, but for how we perceive it and what we have been told and made to believe it is. Under normal circumstances, headlines would have put it out there and billed the performance as a rare must see act, thereby creating hype and a sense of value, but well, no one said it was Joshua Bell performing, did they? A priceless performance for free, and it went unnoticed. What a thought provoking experiment this was. I love this experiment and what it sought to bring out in human behavior. For me, the lesson is to always 'stop and smell the coffee' as it were, without downing the cup quicker than the sugar settles. This is my challenge to you, as much as it was back then, to avoid missing the subtle excellence, beauty and value around you because it is not disguised in the packaging you expect. I believe that value within matters more than the external packaging it comes in. After all some of us rip off the gift wrapping from gifts we receive in the rush to see the gift contained therein.

Removing blinkers
A blinkered view is one where there is narrow, limited and partial awareness or vision. It is important to keep your eyes and ears open to what can be rather than what seems to be. Time is a rare commodity in our day and age, but what is life without embracing the beauty and value around us, while caught up in the rat race? Here is a few points to avoid missing excellence around you.
  1. Always keep time and space for something new to come up each day. It will make you see what others do not see.
  2. Avoid the familiarity syndrome where everything seems like dejavu, and you have been there, done that, seen or heard it before.
  3. It is not out of fashion to stop and appreciate in some way that act on the street seeking their breakthrough, they are making an honest living.
  4. Try not to have your whole life filled with work and business activities. Create free time for your mind to break out of the rut.
  5. Have a child like perspective which seeks to discover and learn always.
Second chances...
With the experimental legacy of being the subway performer who received no recognition lingering, Joshua Bell is now focusing on turning that legacy around. He is planning another public performance in the Main Hall at Washington's Union Station on the 30th of September 2014, in aid of National Young Arts Foundation, accompanied by nine students he mentored and with the goal of promoting music education. This will also coincide with the debut of his new album. I believe it will be a more memorable performance with the attention it deserves and the desired legacy.

Image credit

26 comments:

  1. I was familiar with the Joshua Bell story. It is hard to fathom all those people, with few exceptions, not recognizing the beauty and skill of his performance. Not necessarily knowing who it was, but the quality. It's always good to be open for exceptional opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all need to remove blinkers. I think it is something we consciously have to do, since it is natural for us to view things this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard this story before but I did not know it was Joshua Bell story. He was very courageous person to experiment like this. I feel there could be many risks.
    I like your tips,the one I like most is ; we must have some time in our lives other that business. I was wondering how busy we are that did not pay any attention to a famous musician who was performing on street.
    I think we never think of odds. We always go for brands and do not value the talent around us. we need to open our eye, ears and minds...I feel we have closed eyes , ears and have narrow mind as well...Blinkers need to be removed.... Just thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Anna. Brands matter today more than the value of something unknown. A fresh perspective is always a good thing to have.

      Delete
  4. I remember hearing about this when it happened, and wondering if I would have been one of the few to notice? I fear not. I'm always running late, and I think I need to do more of your point #4. I bet the people who weren't in a hurry stood a better chance of hearing him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have really been trying to have spaces in between busy times to be able to see life and not miss it as I rush through everything. Life is extremely busy these days.

      Delete
  5. While I agree with you about ripping off the blinkers and viewing the world with an open mind, ready to take in the unexpected and beautiful regardless of setting, I do have think the experiment was a little askew. It was morning rush hour. Who is at their best at that time; pre-coffee. Most are off to a workplace they would rather not be going to, most are sleep deprived, most are not classical music lovers I would expect. I don't know if I agree that the setting is the reason but your point is well taken. Expect the unexpected. You never know what may land in your lap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valid points you raise there Tim, but I guess that was the whole point of it, that in the rush, we miss a lot of "life" happening around us maybe? Once our day is set, no form of "distraction" matters.

      Delete
  6. This is so true! We don't pay enough attention to things around us, without hype. I may not have recognized him either. I'm not sure, though. It's amazing that all those people didn't know who he was, yet probably would have paid to go see him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good post. We don't appreciate the picture unless it is in the right frame. I've always enjoyed street musicians, whether on an actual street, in a park or waiting for a train or subway. They of course vary greatly in talent but I've always felt they make walking down the street or waiting in a station a little bit nicer experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that starting line Ken. Pictures and frames, is that not what life is full of? And we only see what we choose to.

      Delete
  8. Hard to remember to appreciate the beauty all around us. I find that if I carry a camera (just a point-and-shoot) I'm more likely to stop for a moment and take in a scene, an event, or a person; to appreciate what they are doing, saying, achieving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrying a camera, or just realizing you can take pictures with your phone, is a sure way to catch many a priceless moments. Very true Kire.

      Delete
  9. I do know the story and it did make me stop and think. This plays into the we are all in our own cloud syndrome that really peeves me. Not only do we fail to see the beauty around us, we increasingly fail to say thank you, or notice someone in need. I hear that these cultural things are cyclical...hope this one turns around soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does fall into many others areas as you rightly noticed there Jackie. it does not only end as failing to see a street performer, but failing to do and say certain basic courtesies to those we meet as well.

      Delete
  10. Welli, just saw this on the news... http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/violinist-joshua-bell-returns-to-union-station/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Meredith, he decided to turn it around and leave people talking about a more impactful performance. What a good end to the story.

      Delete
  11. I have heard the story before. Many of us go through oblivious of the things around us. How many times when you are with someone we say did you see that.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had heard of this. Being form the area it made a bit of splash when it came to light. I agree with all five points. We are so busy in our heads that we don't take the time to see the beauty that surrounds us. Oh that we would just stop, breath and look at what we are missing... Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain Susan. There is no time to stop as the world is moving fast.

      Delete
  13. This is new to me: I realize it was 5 years ago so WHAT does this say about me? LOL.

    It's for sure our live is overwhelmed. Although if I were there, in the subway station, and heard the music, I would have stopped. I usually stop to soak in music. It's one of my pleasures and I feel no guilt about it.

    Thanks for these lessons Welli.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are forgiven Pat lol, introvert indeed haha. I always also never miss the sound of music and will probably bump into someone if I continue on and do not stop and listen a while because my head attention will be there.

      Delete
  14. Thank you for sharing that interesting experiment. It does say a lot about our value system. Along the same lines, people often walk around, especially in crowded areas like train station, subways, etc. with blinders on. We have one objective in mind which is reaching our destination. When we use blinders we limit ourselves to only what we see right in front of us. This stops us from observing things that may be meaningful, like in the case a famous musician playing a free concert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One objective indeed Dana, and now with earphones separating us even more from our surroundings, one can even fail to hear the sound of danger around them. Crazy!

      Delete
  15. That was a useful list of points. It is easy to let business rule the day and absorb all of my time. The end of the day is a time to cherish. I will use it for "unblinkering." Thank you for reminding me to take care of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never heard of Joshua Bell but the story from your post depict someone with legacy. The message is clear "Unblinker your view" Thanks Welli

    ReplyDelete