Sunday, April 6, 2014

Where is your speedometer?

I am not much of a petrol head but I do have an affinity for cars and often when people talk of engine capacity I hear them talk about a 2 litre or 3 litre engine. What they are talking about is cubic centimeters (often mentioned as CC) which define the volume of the area where pistons operate within an engine. Thus a 2000cc vehicle is a 2 litre engine and this determines power and speed. In the United States on average vehicles are 2500cc. A Bugatti Veyron has a 7993cc engine capacity Now that is awesome power, because engine size is proportional to power generation that comes out of the engine. Without being too technical and maybe lose interest from some of the not so auto-technically inclined readers, a car can operationally have such massive capacity but it cannot be driven for a grocery store trip at that maximum speed, well it can but there are various restrictions that make it not feasible. So basically most cars on the streets have excess unrealised capacity because the makers have made them to do more than is practically, legally and economically possible and safe. Now think about yourself for a moment. How much capacity would you think you have in you? Would you place yourself at 800cc,2000cc or maybe 7993cc (just have a car in mind now). In other words, are you a small car, like a Chevy Spark Lite at 995cc and 96mph top speed type car or a Bugatti Veyron at 7993cc and 267mph top speed? Where is the speedometer of your life currently as you read this? Are you at 0 mph, somewhere in between maybe 70 mph, or somewhere over 100 mph? I was just thinking about how we have an in-built capacity just like a vehicle, but we do not always push ourselves to do what we can achieve. A quote by Napoleon Hill says 'Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve'. This is because there is always unused capacity inside us of which, we ourselves may not even be aware. Some of us are 8 litre engines doing 20 mph on the freeway and you know what reaction you get from other drivers. The opposite is true for those who push themselves beyond limits of capacity. The issue is not about being a sports car or not, but about whether you are maximizing the capacity you possess. Contrary to the popular myth about brain use, humans in fact are capable of using 100% of their brain, although not all faculties are always engaged at levels they can perform optimally. At any point in time at least 45% of the brain is active, however not everyone maximises on their mind. Would it not be sad to waste such untapped capacity within us? And for us capacity is so vast, it is not necessarily related to speed, although it can be if you are an athlete. There is so much more that our capacity represents. Creativity, business acumen, philanthropy, exploration, science, sport and all sorts of innovations. However, we have so many forms of restrictions that pull us back and get our feet off the pedal and on brakes most of the time. Brakes are good for introspection, but why not start pushing your speedometer up a bit and see where you can get to in a short space of time. Enjoy your ride this week as you push yourself on the "life drive" and please have your seat belt on.

32 comments:

  1. I used to think it amusing when my children's teachers would complain that they weren't working up to capacity. It is a rare person who does and they probably burn out pretty soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Burn out is definately something to watch out for, it is worse than someone striving for more because it leaves you unable to do much.

      Delete
  2. How much capacity do I have? I'll have to think about it. so thanks for the inspiration to check my speedometer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I smiled as I read this. I think we all think we can do a little bit more or go a bit faster. There are times that we see a space in between (cars) that we attempt to fill when, in fact, leaving it is a better choice. In the end we will find out where our limitations (speedometer max) lie. Hopefully it isn't damaging when we do... LOL. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good point Susan. Not all open spaces should be manouvered into. Sometimes just keep on the brakes until the proper acceleration spot comes up.

      Delete
  4. Some people will go through life just doing what is easy. And there are others who will push the limit. I am stuck right between those two but I am starting to push the limits more. Great though provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tend to go overboard and have so much going on at once that I am in over-drive. although very productive. The lesson for me is to ease up a bit and take some time for myself to rest. I like to believe I am working in full capacity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am an overachiever and I actually have to watch I don't push myself to the limit since that calls for burnout -similar to any car. Great post again.
    Lenie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great analogy! Sometimes it is hard to find the balance between stop and smell the roses, and pedal to the medal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We might all have the ability to speed through life in high gear, but I agree with some of the others, we need balance to know when to apply the breaks :) All work and no play can make us dead on the side of the road :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy your comment made me remember an old post of mine called what is important. The link is http://lessonzlearnt.blogspot.com/2014/01/what-is-important.html. I need to check how to link posts in new blogs I guess.

      Delete
  9. Love the Speedometer analogy Welli and recommend we also watch the tachometer because whatever the size and capacity, an engine typically has a finite number of revs in it. In other words, suit the gear to the situation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You see now Paul, I only know it as the Rev counter, now you bring the technical name to it. Yes that one is key or you will destroy that poor engine. All within tachometer capacity.

      Delete
  10. Smart analogy Welli. I tend to be more on the relaxed side so it is rare my pedal is to the metal. I did once work at a place and everyone but me was in over-drive. I burned out by just watching them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Welli,
    Well, I'm revved up! I'm always up and on the go. As we learn and grow, our capacity continues to increase. Staying on purpose ensures we utilize our capacities.

    All the best,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good analogy. The vast majority of people in this world could achive much, much more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I find it interesting how you use analogies in your writing to make comparisons between things that don't obviously connect at first like the stock market and self-worth, a car speedometer and working towards full capacity. You have an unique outlook on topics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dana. I had not realised my inclination towards analogy. I guess it is a unique outlook. Glad you enjoy it. That inspires me.

      Delete
  14. Great topic Welli. Like already many people have said, I love your ability to compare stock market with personal growth. What an awesome use of creative side of the brain. Thank you for sharing.

    Regards,
    Kumar

    ReplyDelete
  15. Being one who tries to work over capacity, I also think it wear the parts out. I need to find a happy balance, not all or nothing

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am true believer of a quote that you shared
    Napoleon Hill says 'Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve'

    This is really interesting to know , how you compare those things that does not seem to be related ... and bring it to your point.
    This post reminds me of a topic in school text book where the writer had mentioned that every human being have great capacity in mind and have some capabilities from the Creator , now it is utmost duty of every person to know about capabilities and get benefits from them , if one can not explore about his strengths then it is really unfortunate.
    We must try to use our mind and try to be creative , initiative and yesterday I learned about a new term from Catarina's post " ambidexterity " so we such be ambidextrous and look out of box and get to new horizons of success ....
    Great use of your power. BTW i think now a days i am 800cc :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was a new term for me too. If you are an 800cc there is nothing wrong about it as long as you drive at the right speed for your vision Anna.

      Delete
  17. Great correlation you have used here. For years I tried to run at 110% and ended up with an auto-immune disorder that is often triggered by stress. Now, I take things slower, and I think my capacity has actually improved. My stress levels have certainly been lowered:-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anthony De Mello said, "quit driving with your breaks on." When I am stressed out and trying to control everything, I am not at my mental capacity. When I am chill and going with the flow, this is when I find I get more work done. Love your metaphors and great article. =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great comparison!! I loved it! If we give full effort while working on something, not only can we expect good results but also the task can be accomplished within a short span of time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I'm often guilty of putting the brakes on somewhat prematurely. I think this tendency I recognize in myself stems from a fear of failure. At my age, I'm not optimistic that I will ever remedy this ingrained pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The capacity we live our lives with must be in balance with all else in our lives. I've worked 65 hours weeks, but going full speed left me burnt out. It's always true that we can do more, achieve more, and be more. It just looks different depending on the context.

    ReplyDelete
  22. There was a time in my life where I did not work to my capacity. I feel like that was wasted time. I wasn't gaining anything just moving slow in the fast lane and watching everyone pass me by. Things are different now.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Interesting approach to the topic of maximizing operational capacity. I'll admit, much of the car stuff was lost on me, but I enjoyed the post. I think there is something to be said for maximizing life, going beyond just maximizing efficiency or productivity.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an inspirational post. I agree that most of us do not come close to using as much of our minds as we could. There is a time and place for introspection, but there is also a time and place for putting our foot on the gas and just going. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great analogy! I find it hard to hover at cruising speed. I seem to be either at stop and smell the roses, and pedal to the medal!

    ReplyDelete
  26. ...great article with respect to schooling me on what cc is and more importantly the inspirational component. I will not try and think of it when I literally drive, but as I manoeuvre through life's somewhat acute meanders.

    ReplyDelete